[RC] hooves, easyboots, renegades etc - Kathie Ford

Hi everyone. Hope all are safe and happy. Hopefully riding! Weather is finally beautiful this month after all that needed rain. Now a nice dry out! Ride time! (in CAlif._

In reading it seems that with the barefoot movement really starting to take hold we now have many options.  Besides the different types of boots there is also Hoof Armor. I know it has been a subject prior.

I ended up getting some thanks to David and I have to say it has worked very very well indeed. My horses hooves were very questionable after some really bad shoeing last year. I was pretty upset with even her first pair put on last April. (I knew her feet were really starting to not look right).  First day out after 1 hr on the trail w/some easy riding and she was dead lame. Had to hand walk her out of the park. She only had those new shoes on for 2 days!

Had only one successful ride after a nice friend of mine reset one of her shoes that was set back way to far in the rear and her toes dubbed of way to much. Looked terrible. But he made an adjustment that got us through our 1st ride thank goodness.  (You know who you are and I thank you publicly)  Second ride pulled for lameness.  Ended up being her shoulder though from a kick she'd received in pasture weeks before. Got shoulder sore, but at least her metabolics, legs and all were okay. In fact her metabolics were more than perfect.  Felt terrible about her shoulder though. I had even taken her to my vet a few days prior as I was torn about taking her. Got the go ahead. 20/20 said I should have stuck to my gut feeling...:(

Anyway, to continue I pulled her shoes after that. They've been off for 7 months now and her feet look healthy and normal again. I put the hoof armor and I can pretty much ride anywhere. I will boot if really long ride but the hoof armor still performs very well even on really rocky ground (the overlook, canyon areas etc.) I even rode her down the quarry trail all around some pretty rocky trails. About 34 miles the first time to really test it.

I think it would definately compliment booting as well. Even kept the rims of her hooves from chipping. Tried some on our big gelding too. His feet aren't as hardy as my mares, but worked great for him to on the same ride. I was very impressed. We've only been out a few times due to weather but when we come back in her feet still look wonderful. A great option to try as well as booting...

So, just another option.

**Not really hard to apply either. The thinner the coating of it the better though. If you apply it to thick it can flake. So think thin. Amazing stuff really.

Oh gosh, I sound like a commercial. Sorry.

happy trails.
kathie

Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.?You IM, we give. Learn more.