RE: [RC] Equine Insurance - Mike Lewis - Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk

We were out of town when an older mare coliced.  By the time I got the message, my vet had already put her down.  Legally, she wasn’t supposed to do it however, she watched a horrible occasion at the vet school she trained at where a mare could not be put down for three days until the owners could be contacted.  For three days, the mare was in horrible pain.  I know my vet pretty well, so she did what she was pretty darn sure she knew I’d want.  And then she mailed me a form to list all my horses and to what extent I would go on each of them to save them, in case something happened when we were gone again.

I have used Travelers and a couple of other equine insurance companies.  Most, but not all, will cover a certain percentage of colic surgery automatically with the policy.  I’d say that’s worth it.  Some cover medical/surgery in general but it is certainly not inexpensive.  And if you have mortality insurance and you do not do colic surgery when the vet recommends it, you won’t be collecting insurance.  This is all from personal experience particularly the colic surgery when the horse is insured with a client of mine.

Insurance it great.  And it is even better if you have a great spirit of the agreement understanding with the leasee.

Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk

584 Romie Howard Rd.

Yoncalla OR 97499

541-849-2460