RE: [RC] cantering - sherman

I agree with all that, but still think “it depends” on many factors, including how fast the horse is traveling to keep up. You’re right in that I don’t go very fast on my conditioning rides, even when Sonny is having to canter to keep up as he doesn’t go much faster at the canter to keep up with the big guys, it’s just more comfortable for him to canter than to “big trot” since he is just a little horse. I sure wouldn’t “race” on my conditioning rides (since I don’t race ever), but I also know that many horses prefer the easy canter rather than extending their trot. IMO, a 6MPH trot is pretty slow unless it becomes the average MPH including stops, over the duration of a 15-25 mile ride. Most of my horses walk at 4.5MPH, 5 if we have some race walkers with us.  If my horse wanted to canter when pushed faster than 6MPH, I’d likely go ahead and let them, dependent on how long they’d been under saddle, how much base, ease of rating, etc, etc. I wouldn’t give up trying to get them to trot faster though, just to use different muscle groups.  Before Sonny learned to canter under saddle, he’d easily trot at about 10+MPH, now he’ll consistently break into the canter at about 8MPH. I can’t remember about Fellow, did he have much saddle time before you got him?

Kathy

Kathy, this horse is only 5. Cantering in itself is not a big deal, in fact I like to mix it up on long rides. What I am concerned with this horse is him "cantering to keep up" at age 5. You have to remember the first few times I took Fellow out with you the first year I had him?? He was 6 (or close to it-can't remember when we first rode together, but I bought him when he was 5.5), and we talked about not going too fast..? You were great about it. I carefully chose those I would ride with that year. I wouldn't even ride with my then boyfriend..!

I don't think you ride that fast on training rides at all. But if these folks are trotting faster than this 5 yr old can trot, causing him to break into a canter, then IMO, she needs to find someone else to ride with for a few more months at least.

When we let a horse's herd instinct overrule what is good for him physically, we put that horse in danger.