[RC] Low heel and wedge pad - judy-long

I have a horse with hi/lo heels on the front feet.  He has had a 2 degree wedge on the low heel for probably more than 16 years.  Most of his 4,000+ miles in endurance were done with the wedge pad.   Warpaint is 24 (hard to believe!) and still has the pad -- we've removed it once or twice as an experiment and he has always done better with it.

It was always a challenge to keep that shoe on.  He also had to be trimmed quite often to keep the low heeled foot from getting underslung.  I still periodically have his front feet x-rayed for shoe placement.  We have his breakover set back as much as possible (just slightly in front of the coffin bone) and he is shod in natural balance shoes.   He's creaky but still sound.

I did all this with him because he was the only horse I had for endurance.  I would not choose a horse with hi/lo feet for endurance just because it's an extra thing to manage but since that's what I had, that's what I rode.

Just my experience.

Judy Long
Hayward, Ca.

Here's a picture of Warpaint and Nick at Camp Far West some years back: