Re: [RC] [Consider This] And They Call Us Horse Lovers - Linda Marins

----- Original Message -----
From: Merri

By Robert M. Miller, DVM

The Nation was shocked when Barbaro broke down shortly after leaving the gate at the Preakness. ..

The last time the general public was exposed to a racetrack tragedy like this was when the great filly, Ruffian, fractured; the injury eventually resulting in her death...

Ruffian? That's an odd thing to say.  What about Go for Wand?  Or the
two older mares, favorite and second favorite, who both broke down
in the Breeder's Cup Distaff two years ago?  And another horse--a
great European competitor--who had to be destroyed after breaking down
during the Breeder's Cup just last year?

I tell you, I've watched and enjoyed horse racing all my life, even worked
as a groom at Hollywood Park once upon a time, and I can no
longer stomach it.

And to top it off, the TV coverage no longer even treats it as a
tragedy.  When Go for Wand broke down, CBS covered the
shock, anguish, and sorrow in the stands.  I remember Shug
McGhaughey, whose greaet mare Bayakoa had been duelling
with Go for Wand down the stretch, openly crying as the
reporter interviewed him.

Now the cut-rate, never-heard-of-it "network" that televises the
Breeder's Cup handles it by having its bozo commentators
look a little embarrassed for a few seconds, mumble something
about "It's always such a tragedy, of course" and then it's on to
"Here are the odds for the next race..."

Linda Marins