From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nancy
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:14 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Empower, XTN and rice bran

I was told that rice bran has the incorrect ratio of omega 3 to 6’s.  My understanding is this improper balance can cause inflammation.  I was told that flax seed has the proper balance of omega 3 to 6’s.  If this is correct you may need to just replace the rice bran with flax seed and see how that changes your mare.  Of course you then need to decide if you are going to grind, cook or just feed the flax seed straight.  My apologies if this muddies up the discussion.  Perhaps a vet can chime in (Dr G?) as to whether or not my assumption is correct or not.

On the same vein, I was also told black oil sunflower seeds also have the incorrect balance of 3 to 6’s.  Is that true?  Sorry to add more questions to the discussion, but I hope it will help in the long run.  And of course, I am considering caning my horses feed too!

Nancy Reed (off to ride in this beautiful weather)

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, CA