Subject: [RC]   Hypochloremia
From: "k s swigart" <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, February 06, 2008 11:14 am
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Eleanor Kellon said:

It's really small wonder that chloride deficits
severe enough to show up as hypochloremia
and alkalosis begin to appear as quickly as 2
hours into a ride.

Over the years I have participated in Barney Fleming's Pride Project at
endurance rides, have had pre and post ride bloodwork done when my horse
got into trouble at the 2004 National Championship, and more recently I
did my own electrolyte bloodwork experiment.

So I just dug up all of these lab test results to see what they said
about my horses' chloride status taken pre-ride, at a midpoint vet
check, and post-ride (or, for my own little experiment it was pre-ride,
immediately post ride, and 20 minutes post ride to measure levels after
"recovery" i.e. a chance to eat and drink).

In all of these tests the chloride levels were, in about as close to
"constant" as I could imagine.  Levels ranged from between 98 and 102
mEq/L with one outlier of 104 on the high side which was pre-ride at a
75 miler and one 95, which was actually taken the day following a
training ride at home (depending on which lab the report came from,
normal reference ranges were from lows of 83 to highs of 110).

The endurance ride numbers were taken at rides speeds/times varying from
drag riding four days straight at Death Valley (so being out for the
full 12 hours with very little chance to do any eating during that 12
hours) to top ten in a 75 miler (where I actually did probably closer to
83 miles because I got VERY off course following some ribbons put out by
a different group and didn't realize it until I got to their stable).

In my own little eletrolyte experiment, I had two horses (the one I was
testing, and the one I was using for control) go out together on the
hottest day I could get (which means temperatures over 100 deg F) and
ran their butts off in the hills of the Santa Ana mountains for a couple
of hours so I could get them to sweat like pigs.  My purpose,
incidentally, was to test magnesium levels since none of the Pride
Project results I had included magnesium (more on that below).

As I stated, in none of these bloodwork results did anything outside the
range of completely normal show up for levels of chloride, even though
the levels and intensity of work as well as time, terrain, and weather
varied dramatically.  In fact, in MY lab results (although I have not
done a variance analysis to confirm it) general perusal of them shows
that chloride is the one parameter that shows the least variability.

Susan Garlinghouse and Barney Flemming (who collected data from more
than just my horses and lots of rides) would know whether my results
were different from what they observed in the general population.

However, if you ask ME...the forgotten electrolyte is magnesium.  I had
to do my own little eletrolyte experiment because up until then, NONE of
the blood work that I had for any of my horses for anything, at ride or
no, included magnesium on it at all.  When I did my experiment, we had
to make a special request of the lab to analyse magnesium levels in the
samples.

So yes, I think magnesium is the forgotten electrolyte, not only because
nobody checks for it unless you make a special request or because my own
little electolyte experiment showed values ranging from 2.8 pre, 1.4
post, 1.9 post "recovery" for one horse and 4.5 pre, 1.3 post, 1.9 post
"recovery" for the other one (with a reference range of 1.4 to 1.9
mg/dL) which shows substantial variability from above normal to below
normal quite quickly (while chloride levels on the same tests were
101,98,100 and 102,unk,99 for the other).

In addition, since some of the effects of hypomagnesmia are ataxia,
seizures and death, I think it would be prudent that we not forget about
the electrolyte magnesium.

I can't say for sure about chloride, except that I have tons of
bloodwork for my horses at varying stages of varying types of exercise
with virtually no variability in the chloride levels.  Consequently, I
have never thought to concern myself over it.

At only two of these rides did I do any oral supplementation (other than
feed) of electrolytes, and that was a handful of salt (plain NaCl I made
a point of avoiding KCl because at that point I thought my problem might
be hyperkalemia) a couple of times during the ride on the 75 miler.
Although I confess that the commercial feed supplements that I have used
at rides all are fortified with assorted electrolytes, I couldn't tell
you exactly how much or exactly how much my horses eat of them, pretty
much as much as they are interested in whenever I feel like giving it to
them (I take it with me on the trail).

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s. If you tell me which, if any, of the parameters on all of my
bloodwork can give me an idea of the alkyosis status of my horse, I can
also tell you whether any of those numbers have appeared out of range.
Alk. Phosphate did, in all of them ride as the rides progressed, but
never to more than 181 U/L (well below the 280 that is given as the high
side of normal).