[RC] Spot-on tick applications for endurance horses - Sarah Seashols

Hi All,

I’m a longtime lurker, and wanted to get some advice on using the spot-on insect applications for horses, specifically for my endurance pony.  I know it’s February, and many of you aren’t thinking about this right now, but I was just diagnosed with Lyme disease that I must have contracted sometime in December.  I live in SE Virginia, so we have very mild winters (it’s in the 70’s today).  Needless to say, the bugs are out to play all year long.  A friend of a friend lost her good endurance horse to Lyme last year, and I would just be devastated if that were to happen.

So, have the spot-on insect applications been shown to repel ticks?  And more importantly, has anyone had issues with the spot-on applications and toxicity/metabolic issues with their endurance horse?

Sarah

In Virginia…..waiting for the drugs to start working so that I can go riding