Re: [RC] Starting young horses on the trail - Beth Leggieri - Karen Sullivan

Bingo!

Being older and more fragile, I would personally not want to ride out
on the trail, a young horse that had not been ponied out, or exposed
to things prior to saddle training.  So much cah be done with young
horses in terms of taking them places and handling, that is worth far
more than the actual under saddle work....

I started mine at home, sitting on them in stalls while they munched
from a hay rack, and then turning them in circles to go back to the
hay (cues and moving off leg,backing, going forwarrd etc)...and .they
were ponied with light saddles, packs, tools, etc....taken on the
trail, into town for restaurant band bar visits (tied to trees), and
used to seeing all sorts of strange things....

The saddle training takes a lot of time, but at least the trail stuff
is not new when you get on them and ride out...they can focus more on
the rider than the scary stuff that might be around the corner...and
they also have experienced some boring and tiring days on the trail
prior to being ridden, so tend to conserve some energy and be
relaxed...

You could not pay me to take a basically unhandled young horse, with
30 or even 60 days training and ride out on the trail, with no prior
trail experience!

The other advantage of either ponying out for a year or so, or even
letting them follow loose, is that they are legged and muscled up to a
certain degree, stronger, and you know their personality by
observation over time....
Karen