[RC] Mares vs stallions - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

OK, Maryanne sent me a private comment on mares vs stallions, which I thought
came through RC so I typed this whole page...only to see it was a private
post...however, if I'm gonna type this much I'm going to send it to the list.
:-)

from the book:

"What the stallion desires most is combat and racing. He is also to be
preferred in war because he is swifter and hardier than the mare, and because
he participates in the sentiments of love or hate of his rider.
"Not so with the mare. If a stallion and a mare are mortally wounded, the
stallion will continue as long as he can to carry his rider far from the
battlefield; but the mare, on the contrary will immediately fall on the spot
without being able to hold out. There is no doubt about it. It is a fact proved
by the Arabs; I have seen such thing on various occasions in battle and I
myself have undergone such experience.

snip<

My comment: they use "hardy" differently than we I think because the later
quotes about mares make them sound hardier in my opinion:

snip<
(I'm skipping around leaving things out so this isn't 100% copy of the book)

According to the Emir Abd-el-Kader: "It is true that the Arabs prefer mares to
stallions, but only for the follwing three reasons: The first one is that they
take into account what the mare can produce, which is one of the weightiest.
"The fountainhead of all wealth is a mare who foals a filly" Riding a mare is
more agreeable and easier"  It is even supposed that because of the smoothness
of her paces she can eventually cause her rider to become flabby and out of
condition.

The second reason is that mares do not whinny in combat. They are less
sensitive than the stallion to hunger, thirst, or heat; and there fore they
render more services to a people whose wealthy consists principally of herds of
camesl and flocks of sheep. The mare is like the snake. Her strength increases
in ties of heat and torrid localities This is contrary to the stallion who does
not endure heat as well as the mare-whose energy undoubtedly due to her
constitution, redoubles the hotter it becomes.

The third reason is the very little care that a mare requires; she can be fed
on very little, and her owner can send her out to graze with the sheep and
camels without having to keep constant watch over her. The stallion however
must be better fed and his master cannot send him out to pasture without a
groom for if he saw a mare he would follow her.

from "Horses of the Sahara"