[RC] The Godolphin, the Darley, and the Byerly Turk (was: More on colors) - kathy swigart

D'Arcy said:

When were the Darley, Gondolphin, and Byerly Turk bred.?

~1700, ~1725, ~1680 respectively

And, incidentally all three of them were bay or dark brown.

?Were any of those descendents such as the Priboj lines
?crossed onto mares that may have had Thoroughbred blood??

I am not sure what this question is asking.??However, all three of the above
horses are of unknown breeding; although there is a great deal of speculation
and stories about where they came from so nothing is really known of their
breeding.? In fact, the first published stud book (Weatherby's General Stud
Book) was not published until 1793, long after all three of them were dead, by
collecting assorted pedigrees from private collections.? But?all of these
pedigrees "dead end" at the imported oriental stallions (of which the three
above are but a small portion, there are LOTS of oriental stallions in the
pedigrees of TB horses, not just the famous three,it just so happens that these
three are the only ones that exist in the direct sire line).

I don't know what the question about the Priboj lines is, unless the pedigree
of Priboj includes thoroughbred ancestors. None of the three stallions above
has any recorded Arabian offspring, in fact, there is some dispute as to
whether they were "Arabians" themselves--many Akhal Teke people claim that the
Godolphin horse was an Akhal-Teke, i.e. a "Turk"? I do know that Priboj is not
a recorded descendent of any of the three "TB" stallions above.

To my knowledge, there are no purebred Arabian pedigrees that trace back to the
1700s.? Most of them dead-end somewhere in the mid to late 1800s at the
earliest, and many of them dead-end in the 1900s.

However, people (especially the French but also the Russians, which is where
Priboj came from) have been crossing Arabian stallions onto Thoroughbred mares
for a very long time, so it is unlikely that Priboj and/or his decendants have
not been crossed onto TB mares at some time.

kat
Orange County, Calif.