[RC] Feeding Round Bales - Teri Hunter

I feed round bales in the winter when the pasture is low.  I put the round bale in the paddock for 3 horses.  I buy one round bale at a time on the way home from work.  To unload it is very scientific.  I grab a leaf of alfalfa and put it in the far corner of the paddock to distract the girls, then I place a 4x4 about 2 feet long where I want the round bale to stop.  I get in the truck with the tail gate down and back up fast then slam on the brakes and the round bale roles off and stops when it hits the 4x4.  This is very easy to do for one person.   Once a year I have a neighbor come clean up the paddock.  Using round bales in the winter (FL winter) helps to keep my pasture from being over eaten.