Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 9:52 AM
Subject: [RC] An endurance horse's letter to Santa

Dear Santa,
First of all, thank you for all the goodies last Christmas – the carrots, cookies and the nice warm mash.   (But I could do without the funny red hat that my owner makes me wear for pictures!)
This year, I’m not really asking for anything for myself.  As an endurance horse, I’m pretty well taken care of by my owner.  But I’m worried about lots of other horses these days.  I’ve heard terrible stories of horses not wanted anymore by their owners and dropped off in the middle of nowhere.  And other stories of horses taken to big sales and just left there, even if they didn’t sell.  I guess it has to do with the fact that there are maybe too many of us, and with the economy the way it is, some of us just aren’t wanted any more.  I’ve also heard it’s happening with dogs and cats, too.  It makes me so sad.
Santa, could you try to help the needy horses this Christmas?  Maybe there are some good owners out there that could feed just one more extra horse this year, or donate to a horse rescue shelter or even volunteer.  Santa, if you could inspire more people with the giving spirit of the season, I’m sure lots of horses could be helped.
And Santa, don’t you need a few horses at the North Pole?
Thank you Santa and Merry Christmas!
A very lucky endurance horse