[RC] big horses in endurance - sherman

Title: Message
Along with the EPSM horses, very fit horses that are getting grained while not working are more likely to tie-up as soon as you put them to work. Having had our mare have a serious tie-up after a two week rest (in big pasture, not stalled) while still getting two pounds of oats daily, I feed very little now. They get about a cup daily if not being worked, a little more on the morning of a ride, and a few handfuls during a ride when we stop for short breaks. After the ride, I only give another half cup, along with LMF Performance, but mostly all the hay they can eat.  Selenium is a big factor in tie-ups as well, our mare was within the "normal" range, however, that is too low for endurance horses which should be above the mid range of normal (accordning to Susan Garlinghouse).

Kathy

Alexa wrote:

I think that tying up has more to do with feed and feeding than breed and size. Some blood lines seem to be more sensitive then others ( this would be in
different breeds). I have had arabs tye up also if fed to high powered and not worked.  Then you take them out and they tie up tight as a drum just walking
out of the barn. When we had an arab at the Los Al race track and the fair circuit (mostly arabs and quarter horses) you would see this alot because they
would feed those beast massive amounts of grain and supplements and they didn't get worked nearly enough for that amount of feed.  When my 14.1 arab was on the track as a 3 yr old (not owned by us at that time) he was being fed 12 LBS of omalene a day.  They wondered why he walked around on his hind legs.  I'm sure at some point he did tie up.  You could watch a race and pin point every horse that tied up.  We try to feed higher protien and only grain after they work.  Trying to find a happy balance on a big horse with heavy muscle could be difficult if their a hard keeper.