[RC] Slow walking horses and Tevis - Erica DeVoti - sherman

Title: Message
Yes, abosolutely a slow walking horse can complete Tevis because you won't be doing much walking (:>) except maybe 5 min. before the vet checks and up the steep canyons. Most other uphill climbs can be done at a walk/jog or slow trot. Some downhills are very steep and while some riders get off and lead down, others, including me, stay on and walk/jog down because it's much faster IF you have a good downhill horse. If your horse is not a good downhill horse, leading may be a better choice. You won't make it to Auburn in 24 hours if you spend much time walking. Someone said (maybe Julie Suhr) to trot as much as possible, walk only when the footing  or terrain demands it, but pick up the trot again even if it's only for a few feet before you have to walk again.

Regarding the canyons, most riders do get off and tail up the steep canyons. I've found that when I'm tailing up those canyons, my horses try to jog. It's a job keeping them slow enough for me to keep up without feeling airborn.

Are you planning on Tevis '09?

Kathy

As the snow blows, my Tevis dreams start teasing me out of hibernation.  If one has a horse that has a slug in peanut butter walk to him, but has a consistent and steady trot (7+mph) is it possible to complete the Tevis?  Any advice or experience you want to share would be greatly appreciated.

(I only get archives, so my email is:  ponyxprss@ centurytel.net).

Erica DeVoti

Colorado