[RC] composting and worms - Sheila_Larsen

I compost my manure and have worms in it.  I have 3 piles, new; not so new;
and finished.  My new pile  gets to be a around 3 feet by 4 feet square,
before I had a tractor I would take a shovel and jam it in and lift it to
aerate it.  I saw an article in Equus years ago and they suggested taking a
pvc pipe, drilling holes in it and putting it in the pile to help aearate
it.  Haven't tried it so don't know if it works.   I cover all the piles
with tarps, I have worms in all piles and although I do try and pick out
many of the worms when turning sometimes many of them turn into compost
themselves.    I started the worms with some from the bait shop but some
may be "native" from the soil.  I have oodles of worms, and have become
fasincated by them.  I understand Charles Darwin was also fascinated by
worms and did study them.

To keep the pile moist when I take the manure to the pile in the front
loader I fill the front loader with the new manure and fill with water so I
have a "manure soup" and then dump it on the new pile.  I then take the
front end loader and turn a few scoops of the front loader onto the newly
wetted manure.  I can tell you that the interior of the pile is hot hot
hot. so I think doing this keeps it aerated and still cooking.  When the
pile gets to big I move it to the "not so new pile but still cooking pile"
and when I have the time and inclination I then move that pile to the
finished pile.  Then at some point I spread it in the pasture.  What always
amazes me is how small the finished pile is compared to the other piles.
People want my finished compost but I won't give it up.

 Unfortunately I now have a tractor belly because I used to all this
manually.  and NO I am not giving up my tractor..... I love my tractor.

PS Another reason to cover the piles is that a flock of wild turkeys can
take a 4 x 4 pile and spread it flat within mmm about 15 minutes.

One does need to make sure that one's pile is covered and not repeat not
near a stream, creek, pond or other water way to prevent water
contamination.

"For if one link in nature's chain might be lost, another might be lost,
until the whole of things will vanish by piecemeal."
- Thomas Jefferson