Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:49 PM
Subject: [RC] flower bed

Here in montana the road dept was having issues with what do to with all the road kill(more deer are killed by cars times two than by hunters) So they started composting the dead animals.  The bodies are put on top of two feet of saw dust and covered with two to three feet of the same.  The pile is kept moist and after the pile reaches a certain temp it is turn with big machine. In 9 months there is nothing left but great compost.  Of course they have a significant fence around the pile.  In one area of the state, because the grizzlies were coming down to the ranches, drawn in by dead carcasses (on big ranches there is generally a "bone yard" where all dead livestock are put) the fish and game got together with the ranchers, and the road department enlarged the composting area to accomodate the ranchers livestock. A fellow in our  valley composted his horse....didn't turn the pile because he didn't have the machinery but in 11 months there weren't even bones left and he claims there was never a bad odor.  He used the compost on his pastures and flower bed.  There are several articles about the above in a magazine called Rocky Mountain Rider out of Hamilton Montana