[RC] Long Distance Trailering - NE Ohio to Southern Pines NC - Karen Casemier

I'm in the process of planning a 10-day to 2-week long visit to NC and am bringing a horse along to enjoy the good riding conditions. I will be hauling my mare from NE Ohio (near Canton) to the Southern Pines area. I've never trailered this far and I have a few questions for the more experienced long distance haulers.

Has anyone hauled this route before? I'm currently planning 77 south for most of the way, but if there are alternate routes that would be better, I'd be interested in hearing about them. I'm going to schedule the trip with some flexibility so I can try and avoid any bad storms if they hit arround my departure time.

What is the longest distance you would haul before you try and find a layover/stop off point for the night? I think we are looking at about an 11 hour trip total with stops for gas, assuming no horrid weather conditions to slow us down. I'm currently planning on stopping overnight, although I would prefer to do it in one trip. However, the most important thing is that my horse arrive with the least amount of stress and is ready to go hit the trails once we get there. Since I'm expecting her to "hit the ground running" so to speak, I'm thinking it would be easier on her to break the trip up.

Does anyone know of a good place I could stable for the night somewhere along the route? I have one place in mind that is about 2/3 of the way, but haven't found anyplace online that is near the mid point of the trip.

Any other suggestions/tips would be appreciated.

You can e-mail me directly at kcrazzmatazz at hotmail dot com.

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your Hotmail® account.