Re: [RC] ulcers in endurance horses - Nancy Reed

Thank you everyone for all the information.  I have received several views regarding Gastrogard.  Many use it to get over the acute phase of ulcers, and then only use it as needed.  Others switch to less expensive Pepsid (or its cousin) for long term treatment.  I have also received many responses from folks who are using aloe vera juice (about 1 cup) each day on their horses feed.  Another choice is Miracle Clay, a Dynamite product. Some have also suggested probios to tune the gut and ensure it is working well.

I also received a response that suggested I get a selenium level as the symptoms suggested a selenium deficiency.  As Jazzi is on Timothy hay, grown in the northwest and is deficient in selenium, this is excellent advise. Thank you again for the information, I am so blessed to have this forum with all the years of experience to draw from.  Stay warm and dry.  With deep appreciation,

Nancy and Jazzi

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, CA

(where we are all in front of the fire, watching it rain sideways!)