[RC] Bruce Weary, the voice of reason once again! - Ranelle Rubin

Re: the LD/danger to the horse/encouraging new riders issue:

Bruce said:

 "Develop a mentoring program that requires applying, studying,
testing, and a minimum amount of mileage and completion percentage
before being named a mentor. Mentor can display a small banner or
large "trailer sticker" identifying them as such at rides. Something
like: "ADRC Mentor. Let us help you have a fun, safe ride. No
questions too dumb."

Bruce, this is the best solution I have read yet! Too many times I have seen riders at rides that had no business being there except that they had desire, and had paid their $$. It irks me to no end to see these poor folks who want to do our sport not be "coached"..and I say "coached" on purpose. I have had the pleasure of coaching several riders into this sport and take it seriously. I beleive personally that the term "mentor" does not reflect the responsibility we who agree to help it should. I finally, at the suggestion of one of the ladies I coached, put myself on the mentor list. If more folks would do this, more folks could safely do our sport.

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx