[RC] [Endurance Riding: News] UAE: Rashid shines - Ridecamp

Kaleej Times Online - full article
By Hisham Al Gizouli

DUBAI — Salem Rashid bin Ghadayer stayed on course to claim the Dubai World Challenge FEI CEI 120km endurance race for Shaikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum here at the Seih Assalam Endurance City yesterday.

Abdullah Thani bin Huzaim was five seconds behind in second place and Mohammed Hilal Salem in third as Dhahi Abdullah Khamis followed in fourth position. Ghadayer finished strongly after completing the first 30km loop in ninth. And dropped to 10th in the next 30 kilometres before he moved to finish eighth by the end of loop three, then fourth by the end of loop four and headed the field on the last 20km loop of the day.

“The field is closely grouped and looks like a wide open race at this stage. For me, it’s a great achievement which I present to Shaikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum,” the winner said later.

In the meantime, 89 riders lined up for the prestigious trophy led by Shaikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum, astride his 11-year-old Arabian gelding.
Abdullah Thani bin Huzaim led briefly in the early stages before Hassan bin Ali put himself into contention and advanced to lead by the end of the second loop. By the end of loop three, Yousif Abdullah Al Hamadi moved to second and put much pressure on the early leader. But, the experienced rider maintained his first position through loop four and looked like a winner with 17km to go. At that point, Huzaim gave his horse a reminder and settled on the heels of the leaders with only five seconds separating between the first and third. “I think my horse did good work and has been always trotting keenly thanks to the hard work by the trainer and connections,” Huzaim added.

--
Posted By Ridecamp to Endurance Riding: News at 2/02/2008 08:45:00 PM