[RC] Racetrack handling, biting horses - recklessheartranch

I had to chime in on this, if only to correct so many comments being made on
this subject.

I worked on various TB racetracks for over a decade when I was younger -- just
about everything you could do on the track I did, with the exception of riding
races (I did exercise horses in the morning, however).

There are SO many misconceptions about the racing world.

First of all, most TBs bred on the better farms are handled ALOT from the day
they are foaled. They are lead to and from stalls, paddocks, etc. almost from
day one. Most of those youngsters get plenty of turnout till they go off for
training...the nice TB breeding farms often have 5-10 acre (or more) pastures
for the babies to run free in and they are only brought in at night or during
rough weather.

Even when they start training, some of those places have turn-out...I worked
for several seasons in Aiken, SC, where there is (was?)a training facility to
lay up injured horses and start the "babies." The babies were turned out in
groups of 3-4 (according to gender)every afternoon in very large paddocks.

Very few of those horses showed behavior problems, and most were total cream
puffs.

It was only when they started serious training when it sometimes surfaced. As
other posters have pointed out, a TB in race training is overfed and worked to
a prime physical condition, then locked in a box for 23hrs. a day unless he
races. The stress from this kind of lifestyle is unbelievable, and I think 95%
of the bad behaviors I saw had to do with a reaction to that stress.

The vast majority of those horses, even under all that stress did NOT bite or
kick.

In the over 10 years I worked full time on the track, I was bit exactly
twice...once was really more of a nip, and the only "real" bite  (I still have
that scar, and this was over 30 years ago) was 100% my fault.

I was kicked 3 times -- none of which resulted in an injury that required
medical attention. Not bad for over a decade working around these "vicious"
animals.

And I specialized in the tough ones...I groomed a mare who had actually been
banned from the tracks in New Zealand because of her aggressive behavior (after
being the top 2 yr. old filly of that year) and another colt who had broken the
back of one of his hotwalkers before he came to me.

Still, very few grooms and hotwalkers (the ones who handle these horses the
most) are injured "in the line of duty", simply because they ARE pros and are
very, VERY cognizant ALWAYS of the fact that HORSES ARE BIG, DANGEROUS, HIGHLY
REACTIVE ANIMALS and comport themselves accordingly.

I am constantly amazed at how clueless some people are around horses, and it is
amazing to me that MORE people aren't hurt...says something about the innate
kindness of these wonderful animals.

You know, just because you OWN something doesn't make you knowledgable about
that "thing," it just means you had the $$ to buy it.

I own a computer and a car, but my knowledge of either is basic at best.

So people who buy horses (or dogs for that matter), should perhaps educate
themselves abit more before diving in, and let's not blame the horse for
everything...because in my personal experience it isn't usually the horse's
fault.

What started this thread was Susan talking about being bit at a ride, even
though she was warned " careful -- my horse bites". Then Lee, her friend
standing on the other side, states she never heard a warning "even though I was
only 3 ft away."

Hmmmm....Lee was 3ft away from the (soon to be) biting horse, then Susan comes
in the MIDDLE of the two...pretty close quarters, don't ya think? AND, as I
repeat, there was food involved.

I have a number of my horses who won't share a pile of hay with another horse,
but they don't have to bite -- they pin their ears and the horse moves away.
THIS IS WHAT HORSES DO!

I'm betting that this is exactly what happened in this case, but because not
one of the people was REALLY paying attention, things escalated.

Susan, the OP, turned her back on the (soon-to be-biting) horse, while she
ruminated about the exact semantics of the word "bites," then the original
owner stupidly did nothing when her warning was not heeded. Now you have three
horses, one of whom is clearly alpha, pressed in to VERY close quarters...so
before you know it there was a trainwreck.

And one that could have been SO easily avoided.

Luckily no one was seriously hurt, but come on, guys...horses can be risky, so
let's all acknowledge that and try to play smarter instead of calling out the
attorneys every time we are the victim of our own bad choices.

If you want something that is risk-free, take up knitting or bingo, 'cause
horses sure ain't it.

Katrina

Katrina O'Neal
Reckless Heart Ranch