RE: [RC] Early handling - heidi

And even lack of early handling isn't a catch-all cause for bad behavior.  I
bought a mare in '98 who was 9 years old and had never been handled.  She
had spent her entire life out in a pasture with 40 other mares.  It was
pretty interesting getting her in my trailer.  She picked up on basic
handling techniques like leading, stopping, picking up feet and loading in a
trailer within a few weeks of being at my place.  She is VERY easy to work
with and a total sweetheart.  Her babies seem to have picked up that same
attitude, although they can be a bit more mischievous, they have all been
easy to train and a joy to be around.

There is considerable difference between individuals and even between family
lines with regard to the "need" for early handling or not.  And quite frankly,
I'd rather deal with an UN-handled horse that has been in a herd situation than
one handled too much and spoiled, or one that has been raised in "solitary
confinement," even if it has been handled.  The herd teaches basic respect, and
the unhandled horse from a herd is used to the concept of having a place in a
pecking order, so to speak, so is usually quite willing to accept the fact that
you are the boss mare, if you have any clue about how to BE the boss mare.

We handle our younguns some as weanlings, and then they are turned back out for
the winter.  They don't forget their weanling lessons, and are fine to pick
back up as yearlings for basic handling skills.  The main thing is that they
are handled in such a way that they know that we are kind-but-in-charge.

Additionally, not "setting up" as a target for behavior such as nipping and
kicking is key--such habits usually don't start toward people who are always
the "alpha" in herd-raised horses.

The only horse on our place that is untrustworthy is one stallion who was
orphaned at birth and who was handled too much--and spoiled by our barn help.
His foals are easy to handle, and his parents were both reliable and dependable
horses that were great to be around, so it is clear that his quirks are
"human-installed" and not genetic.  He also has an injury that deems him
unrideable.  So, he has his own small pasture, he pasture-breeds his mares, and
he winters with a pregnant mare, which helps to reinforce the fact that "we"
are not "his" species, and helps his behavior considerably.  But my point in
telling his story is that his vices were installed by humans and early
(inappropriate) handling, not by lack of handling.

Heidi