Re: [RC] FW: [RC] [RC] horses at the track/OTTB - Jackie Causgrove

I'm coming into this discussion late, so I apologize
if my thoughts on this subject have already been
expressed.
Given that, I repsectfully disagree with the
classifications of Of The Track horses.
For me, I am only concerning Thoroughbreds.
I am an ex exercise girl from a large midwest track
that had Grade 1 stake races.  Also worked as an
exercise girl on a reconditioning farm. Further, my
family owned race horses.
I've literally been around Tb for the entire time I've
been in horses.

To suggest that a OTTB can not be reschooled to make a
nice horse and/or a show horse is ludicrious.  I've
personally reschooled many, many Tb's that were simply
too slow or talentless for the track.

Just because it's a Tb doesn't mean the horse is hot.
Even if a horse is displaying "hot" behavior on the
track, you have to realize how much of that is due to
diet and lack of socialization/training and everything
else that is being pumped into the horse.

However, I do not suggest for anyone going to the
track and buying a horse.  It's sort of like going to
an auction.  At least with the track, you can find out
who is reputabe and get to know that trainer.

Also, a lot of behaviors that is seen at the track by
Tb are there for a multitude of reasons.  Some of it
enviromental;some of it boredom; some of it stress;
some of it from bad handling; some of it temperment;
some of it diet/drugs.  When you get a OTTB, it takes
about 30 days for the horse to decompress from the
track and to see what you have to work with.

OTTB can and DO make very nice horses off the track.

Okay, that's my 2 cents worth.

Back to being a lurker. :)
Jackie
--- Sherri Lyngar <slyngar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've chimed in on this subject before and will throw
my two cents in again.
A good trainer, track, pleasure, show, endurance,
will train their horses
with good foundation skills that will make them good
all around horses. The
problem is the number of good trainers in the world
seems to be hard to come
by. I would not tolerate biting from any horse at
people at any time, this
is aggressive behavior and should be remedied
*immediately. *
It always puzzles me when someone buys a horse that
has been trained to race
and is surprised that this horse likes to run.
Horses on the track are bred
and handled to be HOT! Anyone buying one off the
track should know that they
are getting a horse that is for an experienced
rider. So there is my track
two cents.

Must reiterate, biting at people is not good and is
more prone to happen
with studs or geldings that are cut late. I agree
with D'Arcy, I wouldn't
maintain a horse that was that aggressive if I
couldn't break the habit. I
have little kids and I won't chance them walking up
to a stall only to get
bitten for their trouble. I kind of like John Lyon's
philosophy about a
biting horse which goes something like, if a horse
bites me I have three
seconds to make that horse believe that I will kill
it, with exception of
their head. They would be reprimanded in a herd and
need to know that I'm
the LEAD horse around here.

Sherri

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.  Life is about learning to
dance in the rain.  Author unknown