Re: [RC] de- "mudding" horses - jamie ward

For a while their I thought My gelding had to be mud sledding on his belly. The whole belly was covered and mostly the girth area was covered and of course is was half dry so it was too sticky to brush off and to dry to wipe off. I ended up dunking a stiff body brush in water ( a puddle the fist time since we had trailered out to ride )  and scrubbed the girth area and re-dunked and scrubbed then I wiped it dry with a towel. If you can put your horse somewhere that the mud will dry completely it will brush off pretty easy with a shedding blade or metal curry. I also know a gal that spray's show sheen on her white mare before turning her out and the mud seam's to come off a little easier but i wouldn't suggest spraying it on the saddle area cause it makes stuff slick.
Jamie

Kathy Klenk <kramspott@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry if this has been discussed recently. I know folks talked about
different grooming vacuums for their horses and it sounded like a plain
old shop vac was what folks used.
Are there any other recommendations for getting all this dried mud off
of the horses during these cooler winter months? I can curry/brush for
half an hour at least, they still look filthy and within 10 minutes
they've rolled again anyway. I can't even imagine getting a shop vac
next to them. Do they really not mind the noise? I did read an article
about just washing with horse shampoo and water a small area and then
drying it (towels and blow dryer) and then moving to a different area,
does anyone do that? Obviously you'd go through a lot of towels that way!!

Maybe a better question is this, what is the worst that could happen if
I rode after only doing a basic curry/brush job on the areas where the
saddle goes? With the long hair they would get sweaty so it would be
sweaty and I guess slightly muddy by the time we finished. If I then
brush that off could they still get any kind of nasty skin condition or
could the grit and grime actually hurt the skin?

Kathy SE