[RC] New Endurance Horse Electrolyte Research - Karen . Chaton

I posted some new stuff about electrolyte research in endurance horses in my blog.  Here is the link

Here is an excerpt: In conclusion, despite greater water intake with HD, this treatment did not result in faster competition time or provide any detectable competitive advantage in the horse and rider teams that participated in this study. Although BM loss was not attenuated by greater water intake with HD, a reason for this discrepancy was not clearly determined. Next, HD resulted in hypernatremia and hyperchloremia, yet at the same time, produced a subtle improvement in owner-perceived performance; it was also associated with detectable improvements in bicarbonate concentration and blood pH.; However, development of hypernatremia and hyperchloremia with HD, in these endurance horses, remains a concern, and until more definitive data becomes available, it has led us to decrease our current recommendation for electrolyte replacement to no more than one-third of the estimated deficits incurred by the exercise bout.

John - I wanted to also post that in my page on endurance.net that I set up but I forgot to bookmark it and can't figure out how to get back there?  Can you send me the link or put one on the front page of endurance.net (sorry if there is one there and I can't find it, maybe a brightly colored trail marker would help)  Thanks!

Karen