Re: [RC] Biting Horse at Ride - Beth Walker

I would contact the RM and/or your local AERC representative, and tell them of the incident. ? Ask if they can contact the rider -- as official AERC reps -- as part of a "rider education" effort. ?They can then attempt to explain to the rider why bringing this kind of horse to a ride is not acceptable ?(this is making the assumption that they would not be happy to have such a horse at future rides). ?Hopefully, they can also give the rider some advice on where to go, what kind of help to get to correct the problem.

This would do two things:

?? 1) ?Give the RM a heads up as to a potentially dangerous situation - I'm sure he/she would appreciate that.
?? 2) ?Raise the issue up to the AERC representative level without being punitive to start off. ?Where the issue goes from there depends entirely on the owners response to the AERC intervention.

IMO - if the owner refuses to address the issue, that is grounds for an RM to refuse entry into rides for that horse. ?This way, however, things start off with an attempt to rectify the situation before someone gets badly hurt.

Which brings up a related subject.... (see next thread)