Re: [RC] My first horse - Barbara McCrary

I think AERC should initiate a book of memories of its members who wish to participate...telling all the stories of "my first horse."  Do you think it would sell?

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 1:17 PM
Subject: [RC] My first horse

I have a pic of me as a 2yo sitting on a big ol ranch horse ? about 30 seconds before I fell off and landed on my head.  My dad thinks I must have injured my head because I never quit thinking about horses after that.  He gave in and got me my ?first horse?, Bouncy Boy, the spring mounted, handles through the head horse that I must have completely worn out.

My dad wasn?t a fan of horses, so I didn?t get my first real horse until my parents divorced at 13.  Before that I would go hang out with the neighbors horses that he picked up somewhere (we think wild off BLM) and tossed in the large acreage behind us.  I befriended one that was small and eventually got up enough guts to try to get on (no halter or saddle).  He scooted forward and I ended up diving onto a rock in a cartoon moment.

The first horse I owned threw me off the day I tried him out ? 4yo green broke arab.  I rode him up a trail behind a string of horses and then the sellers said turn around.  I was at the back of the line, we turned and he sprinted for home.  I went off and bought him anyhow.  At home, we didn?t have trails, just the pasture to ride in and of course he didn?t know how to steer, so he?d buck me off.  I got scared and quit riding til one day I was hanging out with him while he was eating and slid on bareback.  He was haltered (didn?t know any better back then) so I just leaned forward and steered with the top of the halter.

We became best friends.  He still tossed me off whenever he felt like it, or scraped me off under trees.  But he?d jump with me bareback and go anywhere I asked.  Always super spooky and I had to ride in some crazy areas.  I had to sell him when we moved and I had so much fun showing what he could do.  He enjoyed tossing the new owners when they went hunting, but they could put their tiny grandkids on him and he would take care of them over any terrain.  His name was Flashy Traveller and he was a registered arab.

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.LosPinos-CO.com - Boarding, Sales and More

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com - Saddle Fitting