[RC] First Horse for Grandson - Don Huston

I was introduced to horses at the tender age of 46 by my 16yo daughter so I do not have any boyhood stories but my grandson Charlie does. We bought 2yo Charlie a spring loaded plastic horse with an electronic motion activated gismo that made horse sounds when the horse was rocked. The harder it rocked the more frantic the sounds and little Charlie would get that thing bouncing off the floor. The wife was worried that Charlie would get hurt so I bolted the frame (that held the springs) to a 3'x4'x1" thick piece of plywood. That plywood kept the frame from bouncing off the floor but little Charlie would get that horse springing and rocking back and forth so hard that the nose and tail would almost hit the wood. One day when several people were at the house Charlie was showing off his riding skill while we watched. Suddenly during one extra viscous back stroke Charlie lost his grip and flew straight back about 4 feet, ricocheted off the living room wall at an angle like a pool ball and disappeared instantly behind the sofa. He was yelling, jabbering, scuffling around and finally crawled out mad as hell at his horse for bucking him off. We all were howling while Grandma checked him for damages which were none.

Don Huston