Re: [RC] safe horse - Lynelle Robertson

Well, I too can't keep from putting my two cents worth in. (only .01 in the current economy) My daughter who was 13 ( now 36 ) was picked up with 2 other girls shop lifting at Nordies. She never stole anything and had 20 bucks in her pocket just in the wrong place with the wrong type of kids. So, I paid the fine and back board on a little gray Arab gelding 14yrs old. From that day on her grades went up and I always new where she was:at the barn either cleaning, brushing or riding "Arbie". The back board was at that time $750 it was the best investment I ever made. Cheaper than a shrink, tutor or fines. It teaches children more than how to ride. I commend those parents especially in this economy trying to make a dream come true for their children. Seems to me networking on "RC" is a good way to find and fill a need for everyone.

--- On Tue, 12/2/08, Kathie Ford <mspooh17@xxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Kathie Ford <mspooh17@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] safe horse
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 2:07 PM

Well, I may get flamed for this comment which I mean only as another perspective really. Here goes... One must simply accept the possibility that this family does indeed love their child  dearly, however,  may only be able to afford a horse in the price range mentioned.  I don't think it's nice to put them down for that. I know RC'ers don't mean that but sure comes across that way in some of the posts. Also, right now there are free horses everywhere. Dumped at auctions, cut loose in the mountains, etc.  Many can't even give them away trained or not.

My daughter who is 20 now was just GIVEN  a beautiful 6 y/o Lipizzan (sorry sp?)/TB cross. This mare is beautiful, well bred, has basic training, good mind under saddle, beautiful mover, and was originally sold for 6,500 dollars.  I realize this is a different scenario as far as my daughter being a bit older and an excellent rider. However, we were dumbfounded when this opportunity came about. It was simply meant to be. Sangria, the mare, is the first horse my daughter has let back into her heart since she lost her beloved TB Raspberry years ago. She's laughing and smiling again finally too! The mare got an excellent home w/someone who loves her deeply already, and will take excellent care of her.  They were "two peas in a pod"  and  immediately bonded.

My hope is that this young girl/boy will find her/his dream horse and have a lifetime of  safe fun memories and hoofprints on their heart (not literally of course) within her parents budget. She is actually blessed she has parents that would also do this for her.

I wanted a horse badly from the age of ten. I had it all planned where I'd keep the horse, how I'd pay for it etc. My parents, both laughed and ignored me basically even though both their fathers were very good horsemen.  My parents however, both had bad experiences on horseback and thought not a good idea. I tell you, would have changed my life in many ways because I had issues in my childhood I had to deal w/all by myself that I won't go into.  A horse at that time would have been very healing for me much earlier in life.

That being said, I was almost 40 when I finally got my own horse and it was wonderful!  Basically, because my oldest daughter inherited my passion for horses!  Started out w/just a few lessons for her for being on the honor roll in 5th grade and turned into a wonderful lifestyle/hobby for our entire family including me!  My first horse was a horse we originally did get for my daughter and their personalities didn't quite mesh. I liked the mare and didn't want to take her back to the humane society where we got her.  I still have her 14 years later! :)  and a few others that have come into our lives fully enriching them.

thus, my sincere hope this child's parents finds her/him a horse!!! :) Can we all cheer this family on to find this gem?  I know there is one out there somewhere...

cheers,
kathie

Suspicious message? There’s an alert for that. Get your Hotmail® account now.