[RC] Safe horses - Karen Everhart

The first and only horse my parents bought for me was also a young, unbroke, crazy idiot.  My dad put a rope around her neck, put a saddle on her and threw me in the saddle (I was about 16).  The mare ran around him like the Tasmanian Devil, bucking, until I was tossed into the dirt,  rolling uncontrollably under a barbed wire fence.  I was clueless about starting a horse and though I had spent all my life around my grandfather's horses, had never seen the "beginnings" of a horse's training.  I fell in love with the mare, because she was "mine" but had already started working 20 hours per week on top of school, so had no time.  One day I came home and she was gone.  My dad had sold her without telling me that he was going to do it.

It breaks my heart to think what might have happened to her.  And it WAS NOT her fault that no one cared enough to help her with her training.

Karen Everhart MEd
Co-founder and Executive Director
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
Serving the equine companions who have so loyally served us...
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082