Re: [RC] WEC trails - Steph Teeter - marybenstover

Anyone that's brave, or perhaps foolish enough, can jump on a horse and run with the pack up front??????

This is a totally foolish statement and not true at all.  I usually tell people that if I had bought Rio from Becky for $500 when she offered, he would only be known as the horse that killed Maryben and would not be a world champion let alone a Tevis winner and his legendary other accomplishments.  I have ridden 8,000 miles, several in the top ten, BC's and there is no way I could "jump on a horse and run with the pack up front."  And those that do so without knowing what to do and how to do it usually ruin or kill their horses.  I have one such horse in my pasture that I rescued from an idiot owner.  Not just anyone can run with the pack up front and finish unless they have done their homework, know how to manage, feed and condition the individual horse, and a huge number of other variables.   If you know people who consistently run at the top (or better yet crew for them) you know that they are dedicated, hardworking and smart riders.  Off the soapbox now.............................................mb