[RC] Visit to Bahrain - Part 1 - Steph Teeter

A Visit to Bahrain

I had a general idea where Bahrain was, having touched down at the Bahrain airport a few times on the way to Abu Dhabi, but other than that I knew very little about this small country. John and I were invited to come and visit for a few days after the Malaysia WEC - to be introduced to their Endurance program. Tawfiq Salehi, the head of the Media & Information Center for HH Shaikh Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa arranged the trip for us. We had met Tawfiq and a few others from the media and the Royal Stables at previous events, and had been trying to get over there for a while. The invitation was extended, the timing was perfect, so we juggled our plane reservations and made the trip.

The only other Middle Eastern country I had been to previously was UAE - United Arab Emirates. (I've been to Egypt, but I'm not sure whether it is technically Middle East, or North Africa...) (and we were in Oman once but only for a few hours when we accidently crossed the border while driving through the wadi's with Grace and Madiya). I assumed Bahrain would be more traditional - less 'westernized' than UAE, and thought it might be like UAE was ten years ago. But, what a surprise! This is a very modern country.

Bahrain means 'two seas'. It is actually a group of islands off the coast of Saudi Arabia, at the mouth of the Persian Gulf - a strategic location, which was contested by many nations and peoples over the past centuries. It was most recently wrested from the Persians in the 1700's by the Al Khalifa family who came from the Arabian mainland (Saudi) . The island nation became a British protectorate in the 1800's and finally gained independence in 1971. With the discovery of oil, the nation prospered and the Al Khalifa family gradually moved Bahrain into the circle of modern finances and culture. The skyline of Manama, the capital of Bahrain, is graced with high-rise buildings and modern architecture. A classic feature of the skyline is a sweeping building of chrome and green glass, suggestive of a wave, with 3 huge wind turbines built into the structure's center - designed (by Norman Foster) to compliment the seascape and capture the wind energy from the ocean.

Several of the islands that make up the Kingdom of Bahrain are connected by bridges, and there is also a bridge connecting Bahrain to Saudi Arabia. Bahrain has become a haven for many Saudi's - a place where they can come to escape the restrictions of their own government and enjoy a more moderate atmosphere. The Saudi's have also invested a lot of wealth in businesses, buildings and banks (Bahrain is a major world banking center). The countries of the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) enjoy unrestricted trade among themselves, so there is little to inhibit development in neighboring countries. This has contributed considerably to Bahrain's growth and status. There are plans to build a suspension bridge between Bahrain and Qatar which will also increase the flow of business and greatly increase Bahrain's accessibility. Bahrain also has a Free Trade Agreement with the United States. They are very open and friendly to westerners in general.

We were met at the airport by Yusef - no English spoken, but he recognized the tall Americans and led us to the baggage claim, and then outside where we were handed over to 'Driver' a very tall, soft spoken Bahraini who also spoke very little English, but had a ready smile and drove a Mercedes with special (Royal) license plates and had a very confident and protective air about him - and he tried really hard to understand our friendly chatter. We were taken to the Bahrain Sheraton - where it hardly even felt like we were in a foreign country - English spoken by all, catering to business people and visitors. Driver saw that we were checked in and then said he'd pick us up at 'Ten and a Half' the next morning. Ok then!

After breakfast, and a chance to work a little (internet in the room - still finishing up from Malaysia) we met Driver downstairs and hopped into his Mercedes and off we went - to somewhere. It was great to go for a drive in the daylight - past the tall buildings, along the seashore and corniche, past tons of new construction, some quarries (aluminum is also a major export), neighborhoods, shopping centers, around the palace, back out the other side, and finally into a large compound - a series of buildings and offices and suburban style homes that were built in the 1970's to house the employees and workers of Bapco - Bahrain Petroleum Company - the first major oil company in Bahrain, which was eventually nationalized.

One of the suburban style homes holds the office of the Media and Information Center - for the Bahrain Court, and also most of the National Media. We met there with Tawfiq, and Sena (a new media employee), and Omar Ali Bukamel (a recent University of Bahrain Business School graduate, and a compellingly beautiful young man!). We enjoyed a discussion with them. Tawfiq explained the role of the Media office, modes of communication, and their goal for the next few years. Bahrain would be hosting more Endurance events, with the goal of qualifying more riders and horses and generally improving the sport in Bahrain.

The two sons of HM King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa (Sh. Khalid bin Hamad Al Khalifa and Sh. Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa) are very active in sports, and Endurance has become one of their favorites. In particular Sh. Nasser devotes most of his free time to Endurance. He is the captain of the Bahrain Endurance Team, and spends his free time at the Royal Stable riding and training. Under Sh. Nasser's directive Bahrain will be inviting foreign riders to participate in rides this season to raise the awareness and level of competence of local riders.

After our meeting we were taken back to the hotel, and then went on an evening tour of the old forts that are still standing. Fort Arad is a 15th century structure which has been beautifully renovated and preserved. It was quite stunning in the evening light. And as we left the fort and returned to the car a young man went by leading a stunning chestnut Arabian stallion - I assume he was a groom out exercising the horse. It was surprising to see this sight in the city, I figured there must be a stable nearby. We later came to learn how important the Arabian horse is, and has been, to Bahraini culture - they have their own Royal Arabian Stud which has been treasured and preserved for at least two centuries. More on that later...

We were driven to several forts, through old neighborhoods and narrow winding streets, past the 'Bab Al Bahrain' - doorway to Bahrain - which was an arched entrance to the commericial - souk - district. All very interesting - lots of renovation going on. We circled around the waterways from one island to another as the sun was going down - a view across the water of Manama's skyline and the huge orange ball of sun. Driver tried to slow down enough for us to take pictures, and we took a few, but the sun wasn't quite low enough to have a Great picture, so he grinned and said, no problem - we go around again. He wound expertly through the evening traffic, slipped back on to the exit and we circled the whole thing - again. He was actually a lot of fun (lack of language communication not withstanding) and it was obvious that he enjoyed his job and loved the feel of the Mercedes on the road!

more later-

Steph