Re: [RC] Shipping and living with horses overseas - Maryanne Gabbani

Mary,
If you email me privately, I can probably get you in touch with a vet there who might have a good idea about all this.

I do have an extremely strong suspicion that there are no houses with horse facilities...unless you have a ridiculously high income and can build one for yourself. The best description I've ever heard of Dubai would be that it is the love child of Disneyland and Las Vegas. It is one city in a desert next to the sea. Apartments are the order of the day and LOTS of air conditioning as it has a perfectly hideous climate most of the year. Hot humid.

All the feed is imported by a couple of companies...everything down to hay. Maktoum has his own feed mill to produce feed for his stables of TB and endurance horses and from what I can gather everyone else buys from the other companies. Horses are in stables, many of them air conditioned as well. This place is about the size of Rhode Island maybe and what isn't concrete is mostly sand.

I will email someone there to ask about boarding availability and costs and about the red tape involved in shipping. Be prepared for a lot in reality even if they say there isn't too much. Most people who have shipped horses over for competitions have had the backing of the sheikhs which makes a massive difference. Joe the Plumber will not have such an easy time.

Maryanne