From: Debbie Whaley <whaleydj@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] re: sores (tick bites)
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, November 23, 2008, 1:57 PM

Hi. I've had the same problem with my horses since I moved to dryland with juniper trees and sagebrush (and lots of deer nearby).  My older gelding is affected the worst.  My vet said the bumps are from an allergic type reaction to the bites.  The first year when he was covered with sores and itchy, a short-acting cortizone shot (dexamethazone) and betadine shampoo bath helped him recover faster.  To prevent more bites...I use pyrethrin flyspray generously on the whole horse--but especially in the areas where the bites are and on the legs.   For horses I am not riding, I use a pour-on insect repellent on the topline from forelock to tailhead--it lasts longer but leaves an oily residue which collects dirt.

Does anyone else have a better way to prevent the bites or treat the scabs?

Debbie
Prineville, Oregon