[RC] handling ballots - kathy swigart

Cindy Collins said:

> I still don't see what all family members'
> ballots can't be sent in one envelope?.

If I had to guess it has nothing to do with, as Bob Morris suggests, members wanting to keep their votes private (as Diane mentioned, that wouldn't explain why blank ballots cannot all be sent in one envelope), but instead has to do with the fact that each member is entitled to their own ballot as an individual, and you cannot send a group of ballots to an individual.

Technically speaking, the only way to ensure that each individual member receives a ballot is to mail it to each member individually.  If you mail the ballots as a group to the household, anybody in that household could open the letter and use all the ballots him/herself.

Technically speaking, if you open a letter that is addressed to somebody other than yourself (even if that person is in the same household), you are "tampering with the US mail" (a federal offense).

If you are going to use the US mail for collecting votes from individuals, you have to send the ballots to individuals, not to addresses.

kat

Orange County, Calif.

:)