Re: [RC] winter riding and conditioning - Sisu West Ranch

I will attempt to answer from my personal experience.  Others will give different answers.  You have to figure it out for yourself.

1. How cold is too cold? Is there a temperature cutoff that you just don't ride? Does the amount of work effect (i.e. a long walk as opposed to a harder workout that would cause them to breathe heavily) what temperature you will ride at?

Before I moved to the Bananna belt of Western Montana I lived in WI.  I was able to ride from my house, and return to warmth afterwards.  One winter I was rehabilitating Ranger from a bowed tendon.  I rode Sat, Sun, and Wed all winter long even when below zero F.  Horse was out 24/7, not clipped etc. and did fine.  I rode as hard as the rehab regime required (that is a little harder each week).  When he was going fast enough to be sweaty, I walked the last couple of miles back then turned him out.  Yes, I turned him out without drying him, or blanketing him.  We have doen this with many horses and never seen a bad effect.  I think the fully aclimated horse, and the turn out is the key.

2. How DO people keep their horses in okay condition through the winter? I am use to show horses and heated indoor arenas, but that is not my reality anymore...no indoors in the area! I live in the middle of nowhere and it is not exactly horse friendly country! Mountains, lots of mountains so most people do not keep horses here. So no horse facilities.

Normal winters we ride, but not that much but that is just for our own comefort.

3. If you do try to condition through the winter, Are there month or months that you give the horses a vacation and do not ride?

Jan and Feb are usually light months.

I am worried about injury in slippery weather and just basically doing more damage than good by continuing too much riding in bad weather ( although I am obviously not dumb enough to ride in the -30 weather! ), so anyone who lives in a wintery area if you have any input it would be much appreciated.
Slippery can be a real problem.  If I am going to condition, as upposed to just riding, the horses are usually barefoot and we go at a walk, and try to pick areas without ice.  Snow is fine.  When necessary, I have 3 spots of the finest borium and snow pads put on the shoes,  Some report that studs on boots work.  Personally, my horses knock boots off every mile or so.  Wendy is thinking of trying them this year.

As long as I am asking questions...I would like to eventually do 100's...I know this is opening a can of worms, but is it better to start her in 50's even though we are both green to endurance so she knows that the distances are longer or should we get our feet wet in LD's? Also is the interval and fartlek training the same as that for high level event horses or is it adapted somehow for endurance training? I have plenty of experience using these methods for eventing, but am unsure if it applies the same way to endurance horses. Thanks for any advice!!

That is a personal decision.  We usually start horses on 25 mile rides (CTR in the Midwest, LD in MT), just because much less conditioning required.  The transition is funny.  After 25, especially when the check is in the base camp, they are really reluctant to leave camp.  They do get over it.

Some say that doing 50's at the start is the way  to go and teaches them that they must pace.  Experiment, and find out what works for you..

We do use lots of interval or Fartlek training.  It can be done on any level of intensity with good results.  Does build wind (or VO2 max) quicker than steady pace.  Besides, it is fun to lope up a hill then walk for awhile.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875