RE: [RC] Winter Conditioning- Advice From San Diego- Ha ! - Angie Mikkelson

p.s. Even folks in mild climates haul to rides where they actually have weather, especially 100s & multi- days !

Actually, no, here where we have real "weather" there are no rides in the winter, haha :)

I ride in the winter, no shoes for us up here though, regardless of whether we're road riding or trail riding we will be on snow or ice atleast at some point during the ride. I will ride in any weather that I can handle, I think the lowest I've ever ridden in was around 10.  Just going out for a few long trail rides mostly walking with some slower trotting mixed in will do your horse good. Especially if you can ride on some nicely snow packed trails (such as snowmobile trails), be careful not to overdo it tho, its surprising even with the horse only sinking in a little at how much more work it is for them (I don't ride in deep snow unless its only for a short distance).  As Heidi says warming up and cooling down is very important.  If possible after the ride put a moisture wicking cooler on and keep the horse inside a barn or shelter if its windy.  If its not windy I will turn them out with the cooler on and go take it off and brush them out later.  Once it warms up in the spring, you'll be ready to pick up the pace.  Most of my friends ride in the winter around here too and this has worked for us.  Good Luck :)

Angie in MN where it was 7 degrees this morning...

Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the “I’m a PC” Messenger themepack now. Download now.