Re: [RC] stall rest - Barbara McCrary

I know there are numerous occasions when stall rest is recommended, but it simply isn't natural for a horse, especially the high-energy Arabs, to be confined for long periods of time.  My 24 year old retired endurance horse was springing around in the pasture and did something quite traumatic to his hock.  He was severely lame and the hock enlarged.  I had just spent a horrendous amount of money taking him to a pricey clinic to patch up a skewered kneecap, so I just told him this time he was on his own.  He stayed out in pasture quite happily, and over time, the hock healed just fine.  It is enlarged, but he is sound and still going...energetically as usual.  I'm afraid I'm not a big believer in stall confinement as a healing tool.  Nature is a great healer.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:11 AM
Subject: [RC] stall rest

I had a horse who had splint surgery.  I was supposed to hand walk him for a month and keep him in a stall.  He was out all the time too, maybe kept in at night, but the rest of the time out.  I lasted 2 weeks.  I thought he was going to kill me so I just turned him out and figured what would be would be.  He was 6 when he had the surgery.  He was still trucking down trail at 22 and not only that, he became my daughter's horse, then my neighbor's horse, and then a hack horse for little kids.  Being back outside made all the difference and he went back to being his normal self.  And yes, he was 3/4 arab who could spin on a dime.  Jeanie