Re: [RC] General cooling with water - desertrydr1

The other thing is that water has a--Heidi will know what I'm talking about--When I lived up in Fairbanks, AK, the temperature would start dropping in the fall.  Unless it just suddenly plunged to -30 or something, the areas near water, like the Chena River that runs though the middle of town, would stay warmer longer.  It was because water takes a long time to give up it's heat when it's in a bigger body.  It gives up its heat into the air which keeps the air warmer closer to the water.  Basis of all the life on Earth, the ablilty to keep the temperature more stable within a range that could foster life, something like that.  Anyway, what it means is that water is a really good insulator and can absorb a lot of heat for each degree of temperature rise in the water.  So when you put new water on the horse, it picks up some heat which you can get rid of by getting rid of the water.  I don't think it has as much to do with the hair as insulator.

jeri

-----Original Message-----
From: Sheila_Larsen@xxxxxxx
To: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 8:51 am
Subject: RE: [RC] General cooling with water

Yes I understand the evaporation process but my recollection is that the
water that is trapped between the skin and hair gets warm and does not
allow cooling as the water that you are then putting on slides down the
hair without pulling the water below the hair away from the body or pulling
enough heat away from the body  .  In think about this it is probably more
of a problem sponging then say hosing which may create enough pressure to
push the water away from the body.  I admit I was surprised when I read the
article but when explained it made sense.  So that is how I remember it and
again the reasoning wasn't intuitive.  I imagine that evaporative cooling
would work over time but not for a quick cooling like you would want for a
very hot horse.
Thanks,
Sheila
916.414.6685

And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and
created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any
sword.  Oh, horse.  ~Bedouin Legend

             heidi@sagehillcmk
             .com
             11/13/2008 08:32          Sheila_Larsen@xxxxxxx
                                       ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [RC] General cooling with water

Sheila, it depends on the humidity.  If the humidity is high, then very
little evaporation occurs, and the effect you describe is what happens if
you don't scrape the water off.  If humidity is low, then evaporation
causes cooling.

Heidi