[RC] musings and the WEC in Kentucky - Maggie Mieske

Hi all,
Today I am heading out to meet and greet the endurance people in Qatar.  There is a ride south of here and my new endurance friend has pointed us in the right direction and off we'll be going shortly!  I have been reading occasionally (in my frequent and abundant spare time, HA!) people's comments about the WEC and FEI, etc.  (I've saved the Steph's and Kathy's stories for bedtime reading and hope to get to those soon....I haven't had time to read them all).  It's been a couple of years since I was sick and Nelson had his aortic dissection last year, so we're still on the road to "comeback," which we hope will be during our summer vacation 2009.  :)

In any case, have I correctly read that the next WEC is in KY?  I naturally assumed it would be one of those tough trails, but just read that it's going to be around Kentucky Horse Park?  Is this right?  That is where the Pyramid Challenge takes place.  I have ridden that trail and won BC my first time out there on the 50.  In June, this is a tough trail because it can be so hot and humid, the grass is slick and the mud is even slicker or suckier, one or the other.  It rained the entire night before the ride one year that we went.  The little creek turned into a fast moving, belly-deep water crossing.  However, aren't the WEC's usually later in the year?  I'm curious as to who decides where a WEC will be held and what the criteria are.

Anyway, I'm hoping to find time to bring endurance and endurance.net back into my life again, even if it's only as an observer, volunteer and fan.  My goal next year is to do the Shore to Shore and finish this time (only made 4 days plus 12 miles of the 5th last time!).  Malik is waiting in Michigan and I can't wait to get back to him.  He is currently being "ridden," by the granddaughter (4 yo) at least around the back yard, and I don't think he minds too much as he's madly in love with her.  I think eventually I am going to lose my endurance horse to her!

Maggie Mieske
Lecturer
English Department/Foundation Program
Qatar University
P.O. Box 2713
Doha, Qatar

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”