Re: [RC] American Endurance - Lynne Glazer

I would like to agree with Ann--I find it outrageous that people would extrapolate those posts from a single ignorant person to widespread non-support of the American effort. Like Heidi said, the groundwork is in place for a continued competitive effort by our team on the world stage, for those who wish to compete or support it. Congrats to Becky and the team members, without the bad luck of lightning and a virulent virus, it sounded from the journals as if the foundation laid was going to provide an excellent framework for a maximum effort. Thanks to everyone who was able to travel and crew.

Loved the journals, Kathy's was so upbeat and detailed--people don't appreciate how difficult the logistics can be in a country where you don't speak the language, can't just run to a store and pick up what you're used to having. Manure forks! While you must be polite and considerate of the host's wanting to help--rules and schedule changes mean you must be flexible even if you're not well-rested.

I'd have to agree about the "cast of thousands" in terms of crews, at the point to point I shot for endurance.net in Andalucia, rider friends and family would take charge of the horse at each vet check, with up to 6 or 7 people dumping water on the horses, which seemed used to it and relaxed. It's amazing that horses can travel at these speeds for this distance--like others, I'll be watching for their longevity. When money is no object, can those without it meet the challenge?

Like Ann, I have no fear of FEI taking over our American sport. I can cheer on our competitors without being interested in it personally (except for maybe shooting it sometime.) I am rather derisive about the 2010 WEG's venue, however--having it around the Horsepark makes me contemptuous of the decision makers--wanting spectator friendly over world-class competition. It is not very far to the Daniel Boone Distance Riders' spectacular home turf, and makes me think the endurance committee is full of either wimps or people that like the flat-track style. Such a waste. It keeps me from wanting to participate as crew or volunteer.

I haven't read Steph's reports yet.

Lynne
<http://www.photo.lynnesite.com>
<http://lynnesite.blogspot.com/>