[RC] cooling with ice - Sheila_Larsen

This is what I do based on eventing information and it has worked for me.
I use ice water all over the body when the horse is hot and the weather is
also hot.  I put the water on and scrape it off, I keep doing that until
the water coming off the horse is tepid, not cold, but tepid.  I am very
careful not to over cool the horse, I probably am a little conservative.
Years ago when i did this people thought I was going to kill my horse and
told me as much.  Next day he looked the best after a ride that he ever
did.   I suspect (don't know for sure) but at a ride where it cold, your
horse stops moving, and gets chilled enough to stiffen muscles or start
shivering and that is when the horse gets cramps.

I have heard of people putting rubbing alcohol in the water to speed up
evaporative cooling and I suspect that works best in humid weather.  I
tried it once and I think it was too cool outside and the additional
cooling caused him to become uncomforable and maybe tingly because I
thought he was coliking.  I took him to the ride vet and told him what I
did.  He checked him and said  he was fine and suggested I put a blanket on
him.  Very shortly after that he warmed up a bit and started eating with no
ill effects except scaring me half to death...

And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and
created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any
sword.  Oh, horse.  ~Bedouin Legend