[RC] WEC: The Dutch Perspective - Merri Melde

trying again:

My Dutch friend Janet Lam and her Akhal-teke mare Bougainvillia ("Villia")
competed at the WEC.

I've posted Janet's diary entries on the WEC page in Dutch. Below is her
last entry. I don't speak Dutch, but I've used Google translator to convert
it to 'English.'

it's a good read, as 1) Google's translation is sometimes quite humorous and
2) you get an idea of another rider's perspective.

She was eliminated on Loop 4 - sounds like she got off course. But all in
all, she had a great experience and was very proud of her mare.

The translation:

November 7, 2008,

The day of the race was reached, everyone was busy, vetgate organization and some cans scoring.
The best was a strange day, it took so long before your game begins.
Fortunately, I had slept well, but then you still had at least a half-day through.
I was only at 12.00 on stable, if good rest. With Villia gewandeld and was already missing her
to nothing, because I've come once super grooms!.
At 17.00 we were with the horses to the outside, we had decided in advance to the horses too
cool. No sooner said than done and to starting.
I've never been through something so my body felt, people everywhere were watching, the military police.
Incredible how much interest there was. The people looked at you if you any god.
When we arrived at the launch site, I thought that I really fell from my horse!.
The whole bridge over the runway was packed full. The entire runway was 1 crowd!.
So far you could see was three rows thick with people.
There certainly were 50,000 people watching. Whether you believe it or not it was really true.
I can only describe exactly the same as that was the entrance of the four.
It was such a special feeling not really describe.
It went very well, I could Villia good driving, she was excited but knew very well that they
I have no energy was wasted. When we were about 1 km route, there was a horse Stray
with about 40 km per hour as the past has not been harder.
That was as difficult but also that I had Villia and under tight control.
During the crossing and also to groom the only point was what had so many local people really do not
normal, everyone juigde us! Also en route was not normal how many people were there.
I will never forget.
'm Tired now and I try my story is a bit short.
It was still is, about an hour after the start began to glimmer.
At 19.00 was the donker.Nu was exciting!.
It was well underway and Villia really walked on my head lamp. Was mega pleased with that thing, have Rob
and I long to search and finally, I had one that 100 hours without burning accumulator loose. He seemed
so far that it bouwlamp seemed a really fantastic.
I knew what was awaiting me, I had en also trained alone in the dark.
Sounds strange insects, a brooding temperature and especially dark, in the broadest sense of the
orrienteren word because you really could not, because you saw no basis for eyes.
Around 22.00 am enormously started to rain, thunder and lightning flashes.
Arrived in the vetgat, which was now bare, chilling and services. (There were even people and horses
that power had felt there was a huge bang lightning occurred).

You must keep cool, and 2x measure. If your heart rate measurement
and that is good, you should measure again after 1 min, because heat continues to persist in the horse.
If heartbeat than 2 measuring stable supply.
This was all fine, and proceed to the next round!.
This would go 3 rounds and when I in the 4th round of the 5 km I vetgate was a mistake.
After some time I thought that 5 km is gone and my gps was now much more km indicated
than that which had been round.
Finally arrived at checkpoint and grooms my gebeld.Mensen all that I had picked were
in the long vetgate aangekomen.Ik was really a mess sit whining.
Now first Villia worry, there were no drinkbakken only bottle water for what the Army terms
there was post. That I have for cooling thrown all over her. When I phone
I had heard so far was why I turned off the time would come, I have decided to
the welfare of my horse that I wanted to let me fetch. It was so unfortunate, Villa was fit, ran fine
and I had on my gps so driven that I vetgate at the time would come to. I even had some in reserve
Built for the next round.
If you drive in the dark you can not really orrienteren. Wherever you look, it is dark.
My 1st goal was now Villia as soon as possible to get back to the main area so they could drink.
It is a pity that it is stalled, I know where I'm probably driving error.
The apparent on the map that I ended up was the furthest checkpoint and 13 km from the vetgate
was.Ik have come from the first part of the 4th over again is because the beginning gedaan.Dit
and the end of the route overlap. I am so happy and run again beginning to do.
'm Awfully proud of her, because we still have just done nicely together, the largest portion
of the race, I only with my horse in the dark in the jungle of Terengganu drove.
I galoppeerde in the dark with a long rein always a little further opweg to that tough finish.
My horse was fit, the preparation has failed to nothing and if a horse is here
felt it was good BUGAINVILLIA!.
We had all this for GOLD not want to miss.

* They call the Bugainvillia here bunga kertas, which means flower paper.

Continued ............ gr Janet and Bugainvillia

--
www.endurance.net/merri
www.TheEquestrianVagabond.com