[RC] Fartlek - Bruce Weary

   Hi JT--
  Fartlek was a term coined by a Swedish running coach named Holmer. Here is a pretty good definition:

 "Fartlek, which means "speed play" in Swedish, is a form of conditioning which puts stress mainly on the aerobic energy system due to the continuous nature of the exercise. The difference between this type of training and continuous training is that the intensity or speed of the exercise varies, meaning that aerobic and anaerobic systems can be put under stress. Most fartlek sessions last a minimum of 45 minutes and can vary from aerobic walking to anaerobic sprinting. Fartlek training is generally associated with running, but can include almost any kind of exercise."

  It was designed for human runners, but is applied to horses, as well. It is similar  to but different from interval training. Hope this helps. You and Steph are invited to dinner in the motorhome soon so we can be debriefed about the WEC. I'll bring your favorite wine.  Mad Dog 20/20, right?    Bruce