Re: [RC] saddle issue - Steph Teeter

Gina - I'm forwarding your question to the Endurance discussion group 'Ridecamp' (http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp) -

(Ridecamp: send private replies to gtabasso at hotmail dot com)

Steph

On Nov 11, 2008, at 2:47 AM, gina tabasso wrote:

Hello,

Someone directed me to your website and said that endurance riders would have a solution. I was wondering if you or anyone you know could help me. I have a horse who is 18. I've had him 11 years. Bought my current Wintec saddle about five years ago (with changeable gullets). About two months ago it started pressing on his withers and rubbing bloody sores. I double padded. No help. I tried a pommel/withers pad and it tipped the saddle backward so it pressed on his lower spine. I tried a riser pad and that worked for 20 minutes until it worked its way out to the back of the saddle and my pommel was pressing again. I put the narrowest/smalles gullet in (one down from what I was using all these years). Nothing helped. Last night I bought a swayback pad although he has a pretty straight spine (16.2 thoroughbred with the withers of a shark fin). I have to try it yet. But if this doesn't work I don't know what to do or why my saddle no longer fits. I assume his body is changing with age. I can't get a narrower tree and this saddle is all- purpose and cut back pretty well. I can't afford a new saddle. This one is like new. Worked all this summer and all of a sudden not. I did put some weight on him for winter because he shivers it off and maybe the weight gain did something but that would seem to indicate a WIDER tree, not narrower. I don't know where to turn. I usually ride every day and can't right now and he is getting batty and dangerous again without being worked hard and galloped. If you have any resources or advice, please let me know. I am going to the experts! Thanks,

Gina

Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with Windows Live Click here