Re: [RC] race brain behavior vs. Training? - rides2far

I have never seen coverage where > international dressage and Olympic
jumpers are acting like that
DURING a > competition. They TOO have been transported by trailer,&
plane to
these > competitions

Ever seen 150 of those lined up milling around knowing they're *all*
going to take off at once soon? Apples and oranges for sure. Take on of
our horses out at a time and trot them into an arena and canter some
loops. Doubt you'll get any panic stricken horses.

I do not think you can understimate what the human's excitement level
does to the horses. When you go to something international there are just
so many PEOPLE who come to help. This is not what we are used to dealing
with...unless you've seen the sheiks. At Biltmore they must have had 20
crew members waiting at the in timer to swarm their horses. Everyone is
nervous. Everyone is worried, the horses feel this...they don't know why
everyone is nervous, but for all they know it *could* be tigers! They
trust us to be brave and draw their confidence from us, but how could a
rider not be tense with all the pressure that's put on them....no matter
how great they are, no matter how much they can't control things
like...food poisoning, some know it all couch jockey is going to second
guess them and assume they have a *clue* and have a right to critique
their performance.

When we got to participate in the Pan Ams in Vermont in 2001 Kaboot was
just overwhelmed at the first check when all these people swarmed in to
help, offer water, take jackets, anything they could do to help. He got
more and more wound up and his pulse would not come down. The people were
just so excited and he didn't understand why, but figured whatever it was
it must be dangerous if they were so tense. I finally had to ask them to
leave him alone and walk over by myself before he came down. He had no
trouble pulsing down the rest of the day.

I have absolute confidence that Becky Hart has more knowledge in her
pinky than I'll ever have and wouldn't consider second guessing her or
any of the team members. Anyone sitting at home with a few miles of
completions who thinks they can begin to give them advice needs to try
winning *one* local race, and if they *ever* manage that, try two, then
check out these people's records and just realize what neophytes we are
in the sport.

I am so proud that the USA is still a country where people ride their own
horses, often that they have trained from scratch themselves, that aren't
part of a fleet of "prospects" brought along like an assembly line and
handed to the top riders to race. This pretending a "country" wins thing
is kinda silly to me. Did Spain win overall? Sounded like she said no,
that was another UAE win. What if the UAE's horses are bred & conditioned
in Australians by Australians. Who gets credit for that?  Why are we
doing this sport anyway?  What if we discovered we could have a whole lot
of horses, train them in a away that was not enjoyable for anyone but
*win*...  Is that how you define "win"?... I guess if what floats your
boat is standing on that podium regardless of what it takes to get there
then it's worth whatever you have to do to "win". Does it mean that much
to us for the USA to  be on that podium? Do you want them to change
everything about how we do endurance so you can feel better by seeing
your flag up there? Reminds me of fat men in recliners getting all filled
with pride when *their* football team wins. As if they had any part in
it.

Congratulations Kathy & Val. You rolled with the punches and prevailed. I
doubt those who critique you could have even survived all your shopping
trips, much less the ride. :-) So sorry for the others. That's the breaks
of the sport. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into making
us proud.

Angie McGhee