Re: [RC] training - Elizabeth Walker

There is also something else to consider.  All of these horses are experienced, top-level horses with a lot of drive / heart / whatever.  They have to be to have attained the level of achievement that they have.  Those horses know the routine, and they know what a "starting line" is, and they know that they are about to get to **go fast**!!!

What Kathy described is pretty much what my horse Caisson does - on a bit lower level.  :)  I can get on, and warm up (walk/trot) around base camp to my hearts content.  He is quiet, relaxed, listening to weight shifts and voice.  When we get to the out gate (I haven't ever left with the front runners with him), he actually balks for a little bit, as if to say "now?  now? you sure?".  As soon as he sees the first horse up ahead of him, his brain fries ...

I think what was described is what happens when you get a group of top-level, super-conditioned, front-running horses all together in an unfamiliar environment, with all the excitement of a world championship race fizzing around at the start.

Still - it makes me feel better about my own 'race brain'.  :)