[RC] [Endurance Riding: News] [WEC Reports] Equestrian Kamaruddinfancies his chances - Endurance.Net

New Straits Times

2008/11/07

FORMER World No 1 Datuk Kamaruddin Abdul Ghani is the only Malaysian rider good enough to outshine the world's best in the FEI World Endurance Championships (WEC) at the Terengganu International Endurance Park (TIEP) in Setiu, today.
Kamaruddin, who ended 2001 as World No 1 and is currently 93, is a fearless rider and foreign participants here have spoken many times about the threat he could bring to them.

The 63-year-old rider rates the TIEP as not very tough and has planned out strategies to make an impression in the event.

"I have raced in many countries and I must say the track here is not as tough as compared to those in Australia and France. It's going to be a tactical race and those who pace themselves accordingly will do well," said Kamaruddin yesterday.

"I don't want to predict my chances. It will depend on the weather and track conditions tomorrow (today)." Kamaruddin made his world championships debut in the 1998 Dubai edition but failed to start the race as his horse failed the first inspection. History repeated itself in the following edition in France (2000).

In the 2002 edition in Spain, Kamaruddin was eliminated prior to the last loop as his horse failed the veterinary check. He only completed two loops in the 2004 Dubai edition.

Kamaruddin, a gold medalist in the 2001 Kuala Lumpur Sea Games, decided to retire in 2005 due to a prostate problem.

"I bled whenever I rode and doctors advised me to quit. It was sad as I was among the top-10 ranked riders in the world.

"However, I was coaxed into returning in late 2006 when Terengganu won the bid to host the world meet."

--
Posted By Merri to WEC Reports at 11/07/2008 02:48:00 AM

--
Posted By Endurance.Net to Endurance Riding: News at 11/06/2008 05:49:00 PM