[RC] Floating lanterns - steve shaw

Before I started getting into trouble at endurance riding and ride and tie, I got into trouble in my youth.

As a pre teen we used to make floating lanterns out of the very light plastic bags from the dry cleaners and balsa wood frames. We would close off the hole at the top for the hanger and attach a wood frame to the bottom upon which we would put a about four to eight small birthday cake candles.

At the very least we were smart enough to only do this in the winter in Calif. when the grass was green and wet. There couldn't be any wind or the bag would tip and a candle would burn a hole in the plastic letting the hot air escape.

It was great watching them float off and sometimes disappear from sight. Then we would pray that we would not be hearing the fire engine sirens soon. Never did, but we did get caught by parents. And that was the end of THAT!

Steve Shaw